Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna Power Bowls
Sesame seed crusted Ahi Tuna, seared then served with brown rice, edamame, thinly sliced red cabbage, creamy avocado, shaved carrot, seaweed salad, ginger and a rice vinegar vinaigrette. These Asian-inspired power bowls are a healthy, satisfying dinner (or lunch!) packed with flavor and tons of texture.
For the tuna
- 1 lb ahi tuna
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil or other neutral oil
For the bowls
- 2 cups prepared brown rice
- 1 cup seaweed salad we use Atlantic Sea Farms
- 1 cup edamame steamed
- 1/4 medium red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot peeled into ribbons
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts crushed
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Pickled ginger
- Wasabi mayo
- Lime slices
Place sesame seeds, salt and garlic powder on a large plate and mix with your hands. Pat tuna dry. Place tuna on sesame seed mixture and press into the sesame seeds. Coat tuna on all sides.
Heat a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add oil and swirl. Once hot, add tuna. Sear tuna on both sides, 1-2 minutes per side, until sesame seeds turn golden. Remove from heat, set aside and let cool slightly.
Assemble 4 bowls by adding rice, seaweed salad, edamame, red cabbage, avocado, carrot, salted peanuts and scallions. Thinly slice tuna, against the grain and add to power bowls.
Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Spoon dressing over bowls.
Serve bowls with pickled ginger, wasabi mayo and lime.