Scallops with Corn, Tomato and Basil Salad
Simply seared sea scallops sit atop a fresh corn, tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. Summertime bliss in a bowl. This is an elegant, yet very simple dish.
For the corn salad
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved we used tomatoes from our garden
- 8 ounce pearl mozzarella balls or use marinated mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup basil, slivered*
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the scallops
- 1 lb sea scallops, patted dry (Dry packed)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon neutral oil
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large pot filled halfway with water over high heat until boiling. Add corn, cover, reduce heat and lightly boil for 5 minutes. Remove corn from pot and let cool slightly. Once able to handle, slice the corn off the cobs into a large bowl.
Add tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, rice vinegar and olive oil to the bowl with the corn. Toss to combine. Set aside.
Season scallops on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a medium sauté pan with butter and oil over medium high heat until butter is melted and pan is hot. Swirl pan and add scallops. Don’t crowd the scallops – cook in two batches if need be. Sear scallops for a minute or two (until desired doneness) on each side until a nice golden crust forms (do not move scallops until you flip them). Remove from heat.
Plate corn salad and place scallops atop the salads.
Serve with a nice crusty baguette.
- Salad can be made a day in advance. And you’ll probably want to double or triple the batch, as you’ll want to enjoy this salad over and over.
- *If making salad ahead of time, add basil just prior to serving.
Calories: 426kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 28gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 581mgPotassium: 639mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 689IUVitamin C: 13mgCalcium: 226mgIron: 1mg