Seared Scallop Salad
Seared scallops sit a top a sweet corn, creamy avocado and fresh herb salad all topped with crunchy chickpeas. This is the perfect salad to ring in the unofficial start to summer.
For the salad
- 5 ears fresh corn on the cob
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced white and green parts
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves slivered
- 1/4 cup loosely packed flat leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves and stems roughly chopped (any thick stems removed)
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese optional
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup crunchy chickpeas any flavor
For the scallops
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 lb sea scallops, patted dry
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large pot filled halfway with water over high heat until boiling. Add corn, cover, reduce heat and lightly boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove corn from pot and let cool slightly. Once able to handle, slice the corn off the cobs into a large bowl.
Add herbs, feta (if using), extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, rice vinegar to the bowl with the corn and toss. Top with avocado and crushed chickpeas.
Dry scallops very well and season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a medium sauté pan with 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter over medium high heat until glistening. Swirl oil in the pan and add scallops. Don’t crowd the scallops – cook in two batches if need be. Sear scallops for a minute or two (until desired doneness) on each side until a nice golden crust forms. Don't move the scallops while cooking, other than to flip them. Remove from heat.
Add scallops to corn salad. Serve with lime wedges.
Calories: 499kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 25gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 784mgPotassium: 917mgFiber: 8gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 1017IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 181mgIron: 3mg