Grilled Cheese with Apple
Cranberry walnut bread stuffed with sweet farm apple slices, sharp cheddar, tangy blue cheese and red onion slices. All the flavors of fall in a warm, buttery, crisp grilled cheese. This is an adult version of the comforting childhood favorite you still love.
- 8 slices 8 slices cranberry walnut bread or other rustic bread
- 1 tablespoon salted butter softened
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese sandwich size
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles or 8 slices blue cheese monterey blend
- 1 apple thinly sliced any variety (Honeycrisp, Macoun, Mutsu, Jonagold, etc)
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
Butter one side of each slice of bread.
Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of bread butter side down. Top with 2 slices cheddar, apple slices, red onion, 2 tablespoons blue cheese and another slice of bread, butter side up. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches.
Heat a medium non-stick saute pan over medium heat.
Add the sandwiches to the pan and heat for 5 minutes until cheese begins to melt and bread is lightly browned.
Flip the sandwiches and heat another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and gooey. Cook the sandwiches in batches, if needed.
Slice and serve.
Calories: 644kcalCarbohydrates: 59gProtein: 28gFat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 1012mgPotassium: 290mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 1026IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 598mgIron: 4mg