Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple.
Cranberry walnut bread stuffed with sweet farm apple slices, sharp cheddar, tangy blue cheese and red onion slices toasted until melty and golden brown. All the flavors of fall in a warm, buttery, crisp grilled cheese. This is an adult version of the comforting childhood favorite we all still love.
There’s not many things that can top freshly baked bread (we have an amazing French bakery in town that makes the most incredible cranberry nut bread) and cheddar (Cabot cheddar has our hearts and tastebuds). Both of these are top on this family’s list of favorite foods.
Fall apples are top on that list too. And, apples + cheese are just the perfect pairing, so this Grilled Apple Cheddar and Blue Cheese Sandwich is extra special. The kids like a simple version of this grilled cheese – just with the cheddar and thinly sliced apples. But, for the adults, the red onion adds a nice zing and tanginess to the sandwich. And the blue cheese is sharp, pungent and salty and makes the perfect companion to the sweet crisp apples.
If you can find blue cheese slices, feel free to use those. A few years ago, in the deli section of our local supermarket they sold a marbled blue monterey jack cheese blend in slices (just like a sliced cheddar). They were perfect for sandwiches like this. Since then, I haven’t found them, so typically use blue cheese crumbles for sandwiches.
Make this grilled cheese for lunch after a morning in the apple orchards – or after a cool morning of raking leaves. Or make it for dinner and serve it with a fall-inspired soup, like butternut squash or a pumpkin chili.
How do you make this Grilled Cheese with Apple?
You’ll butter both sides of the bread, then layer with cheddar, blue cheese, apple and red onion. Then you’ll toast in a pan until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
Are you a grilled cheese traditionalist or are you willing to branch out and try something new? Hope it’s the latter. And hope you give this grilled cheese a shot! Let me know if you do.
Here’s how to make this Grilled Apple Cheddar and Blue Cheese Sandwich:
Grilled Cheese with Apple
- 8 slices 8 slices cranberry walnut bread or other rustic bread
- 1 tablespoon salted butter softened
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese sandwich size
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles or 8 slices blue cheese monterey blend
- 1 apple thinly sliced any variety (Honeycrisp, Macoun, Mutsu, Jonagold, etc)
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of bread butter side down. Top with 2 slices cheddar, apple slices, red onion, 2 tablespoons blue cheese and another slice of bread, butter side up. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a medium non-stick saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the sandwiches to the pan and heat for 5 minutes until cheese begins to melt and bread is lightly browned.
- Flip the sandwiches and heat another 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and gooey. Cook the sandwiches in batches, if needed.
- Slice and serve.
PIN for later:
*This post was originally posted on September 17th, 2017, but has been updated with new images.
Leave a Comment