Grilled Asian Salmon in Foil Packets.
Salmon filets, baby spinach, shitake mushrooms and scallions in a ginger, soy and sesame sauce wrapped in foil packets and grilled. A healthy, flavor-packed dinner that’ll easily become a favorite in your house, as it did in ours. And – the best part about this recipe is that clean-up is a breeze!
We used to make these salmon packets at least once a week before kids. I’m not sure why we got out of the habit of making them, because it’s one of our favorite ways to eat salmon. Maybe it’s because they require a few “extra” minutes of slicing and dicing (scallions and ginger), but really it’s minimal. But with kiddos running around, sometimes that minimal seems like a lot of extra effort.
We had these salmon packets again the other night and realized it’s time to bring them back into rotation. They are just so good, so easy, and so flavorful.
Is this Asian Salmon in Foil meal healthy?
Yes! This whole meal is packed with good-for-you ingredients – healthy omega-3 fatty acids, protein and Vitamin D from the salmon, fiber plus vitamins and minerals from the brown rice and lots of antioxidants, fiber and vitamins and minerals from the veggies.
What do you need to make this salmon recipe in foil?
- baby spinach
- shitake mushrooms
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- sesame oil
- short grain brown rice
- sesame seeds
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat the grill.
- Whisk together the soy ginger sauce.
- Place the spinach onto prepared pieces of tin foil.
- Place the salmon overtop the spinach.
- Top salmon with shitake mushrooms and scallions.
- Pour sauce over the fish and veggies.
- Seal up the packets and grill until the fish is cooked through.
- Carefully open the packets and slide the fish and veggies overtop brown rice.
- Sprinkle fish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with lime wedges.
A few recipe notes:
- The 8 cups of baby spinach (for 4 people) may seem like a lot, but it wilts down to nothing, so you could even add more if you’d like.
- Because of the fresh ginger and sriracha in the sauce, this recipe does have some heat. It’s not too spicy, but if you like things very mild, omit the sriracha and reduce the amount of fresh ginger you use.
Can I make these salmon foil packets in the oven?
Yes! You can make these packets in the oven if you don’t want to grill them. We try to grill our seafood as much as we can so the house doesn’t smell like fish, but these are just as tasty in the oven.
If you go the oven route, bake them in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (cook time will vary depending on thickness of the filets and your individual oven), checking for doneness after 10 minutes. When checking for doneness, do so carefully, as the packets are full of hot steam.
What should I serve these asian salmon packets with?
We typically serve them with brown, but you could serve them with any grain – white rice, quinoa, farro, etc. would all be great.
This (above) is how the packets will look after being prepped. Then you’ll close the foil packets, making sure they are tightly sealed, but still allowing a bit of room inside the packets for air flow. Then, onto the grill they go.
How do I serve these Asian Salmon Foil Packets?
You could serve these packets right in the foil for minimal cleanup and just serve the rice alongside on the foil. We prefer, however, to plate them overtop brown rice so there’s no chance of eating a piece of foil – and it’s more enjoyable eating on a plate!
Here’s how to make these Grilled Asian Salmon Foil Packets:
Asian Salmon in Foil
- 8 cups baby spinach packed
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon filet skin removed cut into 4 equal filets
- 3 1/2 ounces shitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced, white and green parts, divided
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups prepared short grain brown rice
- Scallions reserved from above
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, sriracha, ginger and garlic powder until well combined.
- Prepare 4 pieces of foil (about dinner plate size). Place 2 cups of baby spinach in the center of each piece of foil. Top spinach with salmon, shitake mushrooms and half of the scallions. Pour marinade equally overtop each salmon packet. Fold over the foil to seal each packet tightly (you don’t want heat to escape).
- Reduce grill heat to medium high. Place packets on grill and cook for ~10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon filets. Cook until fish flakes easily with a fork and is opaque throughout (check salmon by removing one packet from the grill and opening very carefully - hot steam!).
- Remove packets from grill. Place salmon filets, veggies and sauce overtop brown rice. Top with remaining scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with lime wedges.
PIN this recipe for later: