Baked Fish Bites.
Nuggets of fresh cod fish breaded in Italian seasoned panko crumbs then baked until crispy and golden brown. A kid favorite! And a healthier alternative to fish sticks.
Also, these fish bites make a great appetizer for adults, paired with your favorite local beer.
Fish sticks. Fish fingers. Fish nuggets. Fish bites. Baked fish bites. Cod Bites. Whatever you call them, they’re GOOD. Crispy, mild, salty and so delicious dipped into creamy tartar sauce (or any dip of choice). Unlike most fish sticks, these fish bites are not deep fried, so they’re better-for-you, and in my opinion, just as tasty.
How do you make this baked cod bites recipe?
To make these bites, you’ll:
- cut a 1 lb cod loin into approximately 1 inch pieces
- dredge the cod pieces into whole wheat flour
- dip them into beaten egg
- bread them with seasoned panko crumbs
- place them onto an oiled baking sheet
- drizzle the fish with oil
- baked at 425 F for 12-15 minutes until the fish flakes easily and the crust is crispy and golden brown
- sprinkle with flaky sea salt
- serve fish bites with tartar sauce and lemon wedges
Don’t be intimidated by dredging and breading here – it’s easy and goes very quickly. And it’s well worth it for these fish nuggets. Cod, haddock and other lean white fish can be pretty boring taste-wise, so this really jazzes them up. Plus, without this step, you wouldn’t be able to get that irresistable crispy coating that we all love.
Can you use another white fish other than cod for these baked fish bites?
Yep! This recipe uses cod fish, but feel free to use what you have access to. You just want to make sure you choose a mild, white flaky fish. Haddock, tilapia, halibut, black sea bass would all work well. You’ll need to adjust cooking time depending on the thickness of the filet and size of the bites. Also, try to purchase a fish filet or loin that’s consistent in size throughout, which will result in all the pieces of fish being cooked through at the same time.
If you love baked white fish, don’t miss these recipes:
Here’s how to make these easy and healthy baked fish sticks:
Baked Fish Bites
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned panko crumbs Italian seasoned
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 lb cod loin or other white fish
- avocado oil
- Flaky sea salt
- Tartar sauce
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 425. Spray a large cooking sheet well with avocado or vegetable oil.
- Combine whole wheat flour, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a medium-sized shallow bowl. Place beaten eggs in another bowl. Combine panko and Italian seasoning in another medium-sized shallow bowl.
- Dredge each piece of fish in the flour first (shaking off excess), then into the beaten egg, then into the panko mixture (coating both sides of the fish), then place onto the baking sheet.
- Spray fish bites evenly with oil spray then drizzle a thin stream of avocado oil overtop the bites (this will help them crisp up).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork and is cooked through – timing will vary depending on the size of the fish bites.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Serve bites with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
PIN this crispy Baked Fish Bites recipe for later: