Caesar Salad Scallop Roll.
Seared scallops stuffed into toasted buns with crispy lettuce, croutons, shaved parmesan and caesar dressing.
Scallops – tops the chart for summer seafood.
Scallops – either fried, grilled or seared are one of my favorite summertime foods. They remind me of visiting the little clam shacks on the Cape in the summers as a kid and getting the fried scallop platter and eating as much as I possibly could because they were just so good and you couldn’t stop! You could smell those fried scallops from miles away. While they remain a favorite, fried foods don’t make a regular appearance on our menu often – maybe once or twice a summer. Seared scallops, on the other hand, make a very regular appearance.
These caesar salad scallop rolls celebrate sea scallops (or sea candy, as we call them) in the best way – along with the crispy lettuce and all the caesar salad fixins. These rolls are garlicky, tangy, creamy, smooth, crunchy and just overall awesome.
How do you make these Caesar Salad Scallop Rolls?
These scallop rolls require few ingredients and very little time, but the result is something amazing. If you love Caesar salad and you love scallops, then give these a try.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- toasted and buttered hot dog buns
- large fresh sea scallops
- crispy green leaf lettuce
- caesar salad dressing
- caesar croutons
- shaved parm (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges (always)
You’ll sear the scallops, then assemble the rolls by adding lettuce to the bottom of the roll, adding in 2-3 seared scallops, then topping the roll with dressing, crushed croutons, shaved parm and freshly ground black pepper. Easy peasy!
The lettuce we used in these rolls is Little Leaf Farms crispy green leaf lettuce. It stays crisp and fresh, so is perfect for these rolls – and for any of your summer salads.
Obviously, use the very best and freshest sea scallops you can find here. These beauties are from my friends over at the scallop fishing vessel Isabel and Lilee and were given to me on our visit a few weeks ago. I froze them, thawed them and used them for these rolls. As you can see, these were large scallops, so I only fit 2 in a bun. Yours may be smaller, so use your judgement as to how many scallops you need to fit into the buns you buy and to serve the crowd you have.
Looking for more simple scallop recipes?
Here’s how to make these easy scallop rolls:
Caesar Salad Scallop Roll
- 4 hot dog buns New England style split top buns
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 12 sea scallops patted very dry (about 1 lb)
- 2 cups crispy baby green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup Caesar dressing
- 1/4 cup Caesar croutons crushed
- 2 tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
- Spread the hot dog rolls with 1 tablespoon butter and toast them in a skillet or toasted oven.
- Heat olive oil and remaining butter in the same skillet over medium high heat until glistening. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Swirl the oil and butter in the pan and add the scallops.
- Sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until a nice golden crust forms, or until desired doneness. Remove from heat.
- Stuff buns with a few leaves of lettuce then a few scallops. Drizzle with Caesar dressing then sprinkle with crushed croutons, shaved parm and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
PIN this easy scallop roll recipe for later: