Grilled Shrimp Wedge Salad.
Crisp iceberg lettuce topped with grilled shrimp, charred red onion and tomatoes. Sprinkled with crispy bacon and tangy blue cheese. This is your favorite wedge salad made much more exciting … and meal worthy, especially alongside slices from a crusty loaf of multigrain bread.
For whatever reason, I’ve been craving shrimp on the grill. I think it’s because it finally has warmed up here on the Cape … and the smell of shrimp on the grill reminds me of hot summer days and dining outside at the local clam shacks. Soon enough.
Lucca had also never tried shrimp, so it was time for him to taste it. We’ve been hesitant with shellfish and fish after he had a strange reaction last fall to whitefish. We had him allergy tested (skin prick tested) a few months back and he tested fine, so we’re slowly introducing and reintroducing seafood. He did well with the shrimp (fingers crossed) and seemed to like it. There will be more shrimp in our future.
Back to this Grilled Shrimp Wedge Salad.
One of the best things about warm weather and dining al fresco is entree salads – either at home or at your local seafood shanty, on a dock overlooking the water. I love how entree salads can be so good and so satisfying if done well and made with the best ingredients. Take a regular old cobb salad, chopped salad or wedge salad and use great ingredients and top it with fresh seafood … you’ve got yourself an extra ordinary summer salad.
This salad is definitely restaurant caliber. It takes your normal, run of the mill, appetizer wedge salad and turns it into something extra special. A little bit fancy, a lotta bit delicious.
Looking for more shrimp recipes?
Here’s how to make this Grilled Shrimp Wedge Salad:
Grilled Shrimp Wedge Salad
- 1 lb frozen large raw shrimp (31-40 shrimp per pound) thawed and peeled (and deveined, if needed) dried well with a paper towel
- 1/2 cup citrus or italian vinaigrette homemade or store-bought
- metal or wooden skewers (soaked, if using wooden)
- 1 pint organic grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into 4 thick chunks
- 1 head organic iceberg lettuce sliced horizontally into 4 slices, core removed
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- ground black pepper to taste
- balsamic glaze
- lemon wedges
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Clean and oil grill grates.
- Place shrimp and vinaigrette in a resealable plastic bag. Let shrimp marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Thread shrimp onto metal skewers (or wooden skewers that you’ve soaked in water for 30 minutes.) Discard marinade. Thread tomatoes onto additional skewers.
- Place shrimp, tomatoes and red onion on the grill. Grill shrimp, tomatoes and red onion over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until shrimp just turns opaque and is cooked through (grilling time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp). Remove from grill.
- Assemble four salads by placing a slice of iceberg on a plate, topping with red onion, tomatoes and shrimp. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, blue cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve with lemon wedges.
PIN this easy shrimp salad for later: