Crab Stuffed Avocados with Kelp.
Creamy, rich avocados stuffed with sweet lump crab meat and umami rich kelp (seaweed!) in a tangy dressing. These stuffed avocados are packed with all the umami-rich flavors of the sea and they make the perfect appetizer (perhaps for your tiny holiday gatherings?), side dish – or even quick lunch alongside some whole grain crackers. Plus, one of the best things about these stuffed avocados is that they are ready in under 10 minutes!
Thanks to my friends at Atlantic Sea Farms for sponsoring this post and thanks to you, my readers, for supporting brands that help keep JennySheaRawn running. As always, all opinions are my own.
Do you love avocados as much as we do? We add them to everything – sandwiches, salads, power bowls, eggs, toast – and often, straight up sprinkled with salt. Avocados are Lexi’s favorite food – and one of her “first foods” as a baby too. We go through at least two avocados a day in this house. When the ‘cados are running low, mamma starts to panic a bit – just as most people would when they’re low on milk or eggs or bread. It’s not good to be low on avocados in the Rawn household!
You know what else we love? Stufffed avocados. And these Kelp and Crab Stuffed Avocados are probably the best stuffed avocados I have ever had.
The “stuffing” – or the crab salad – is super simple and is made of:
- Lump crab meat
- Ready-cut thaw and serve kelp from Atlantic Sea Farms (more on these awesome folks and their kelp — aka seaweed — towards the bottom of this post) – this adds umami flavor, freshness and an awesome texture to the salad
- Red onion
- Chopped fresh parsley
And an easy dressing:
- White wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Where can I find the ready-cut kelp from Atlantic Sea Farms?
- Check out Atlantic Sea Farms store finder to find a store near you. Aside from the ready-cut kelp, they also sell kelp cubes (great for smoothies, soups, etc) and 3 amazing fermented seaweed products – Seaweed Salad, Sea-Beet Kraut and Sea-Chi (basically kimchi with seaweed).
- Buy online!
A few nutrition highlights of these Kelp and Crab Stuffed Avocados:
- Packed with satiating protein, heart smart monounsaturated fats, vitamins, minerals (including iodine) and phytonutrients, these stuffed avocados are nourishing to both the body and mind.
- Ready-cut kelp provides 745% of your daily value of iodine (per 2 ounce serving) important for thyroid health and metabolism.
- Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats and can help boost the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like Vitamins D, E, A and K.
- Crab is rich in protein, important for muscle and bone health, rich in zinc which is essential for immune health and rich in Vitamin B12, essential for neurological function and red blood cell formation.
Here’s how to make these Crab Stuffed Avocados:
Crab Stuffed Avocados
- 12 ounces lump crab meat picked over for shell fragments
- 4 ounces Ready Cut, Thaw and Eat Atlantic Sea Farms Kelp thawed picked over for pebbles and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 avocados sliced in half and pitted
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
- Add lump crab meat to a medium bowl. Using a fork, break up any large crab chunks. Add kelp, red onion and parsley to the bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Make dressing by adding mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, salt and black pepper to a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add dressing to crab and kelp mixture. Mix to combine.
- Place the eight avocado halves on a serving plate. Using a spoon, add crab and kelp mixture to the avocado halves. Top with black pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- If preparing this as an appetizer ahead of time, squeeze lemon over the avocado halves so they don’t brown prior to serving.
- This recipe can also be made as a Kelp, Crab and Avocado salad (versus stuffed into avocado halves). Just prepare as directed, but add diced avocado to the crab and kelp mixture just before serving and toss gently. If you go this route, you can use two avocados instead of four.
PIN these easy stuffed avocados for later:
Leave a Comment